This tangy Asian-inspired sauce also makes a tasty topping for meatloaf.
Grilled Sweet & Sour Drumsticks
Makes 4 servings
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ⅓ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 8 chicken drumsticks (about 2¼ pounds)
- In a medium bowl, combine ketchup, soy sauce, garlic, vinegar, brown sugar, lemon zest and juice, ginger, and salt; reserve half of mixture for dipping sauce. Whisk oil into remaining half, and pour into a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken; seal bag. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Remove chicken from bag, discarding marinade.
- Spray grill rack with nonflammable cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium-high heat (350° to 400°).
- Grill chicken over indirect heat with grill lid closed for 30 to 40 minutes, turning frequently.
- Remove from grill, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, heat reserved sauce over medium heat, stirring frequently. Brush onto hot chicken. Serve remaining sauce with chicken.