Grilled Strawberry Shortcakes
Write a review
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, stemmed, hulled, and cut in half
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla powder (see note)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup dark rum
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 (16-ounce) frozen pound cake, thawed
- Vanilla ice cream
- Spray grill with nonstick, nonflammable cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium heat (350° to 400°).
- In a large bowl, toss strawberries with sugar, vanilla powder, and salt. Let sit for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together rum and honey. Pour rum mixture over strawberries.
- Cut pound cake in half lengthwise. Using a 3-inch round cutter, cut cake into 6 (3-inch) portions.
- Place pound cake on grill over indirect heat. Grill until toasted, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from grill, and set aside.
- Place strawberries, cut side down, directly on grill. Grill over indirect heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Serve grilled strawberries with pound cake and vanilla ice cream.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/