These spicy grilled skewers are so simple and so delicious. If you’re wanting a more kid-friendly version, replace the jalapeño peppers with bell peppers – your kids will love this flavorful finger food!
Grilled Spicy Sweet Potato and Sausage Skewers
Yield: approximately 2 1⁄2 dozen
Write a review
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 1⁄2-inch cubes
- 1 pound smoked sausage links, sliced 1⁄2 inch thick (see note)
- 2 (18-ounce) jars cocktail onions, drained
- 6 jalapeño peppers, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 30 (4-inch) wooden skewers, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
- Spray grill rack with nonstick, nonflammable cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium-high heat (350° to 400°).
- In a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, sausage, onions, jalapeños, olive oil, cilantro, salt, and pepper, stirring to combine. Thread sweet potato, sausage, onion, and jalapeño pieces onto skewers.
- Grill skewers, with grill lid open, for 5 to 7 minutes. Turn skewers over, and grill until desired degree of doneness is reached, an additional 5 to 7 minutes. Serve immediately.
- We used Conecuh Original Smoked Sausage, which can be purchased at most supermarkets or at conecuhsausage.com.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/