A drizzle of fragrant basil oil is the perfect finishing touch on this fresh summer supper.
Grilled Shrimp and Summer Vegetables with Basil Grits
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup white grits
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Basil Oil (recipe follows)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left on)
- 1 (8-ounce) package fresh cremini mushrooms
- 3 assorted bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 zucchini, halved and sliced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons Mediterranean spiced sea salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups water, broth, butter, and salt to a boil over medium-high heat. Slowly whisk in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened, about 15 minutes. Cover and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in cheese, 3 tablespoons Basil Oil, and pepper until cheese is melted. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Heat grill pan over medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, toss together shrimp, mushrooms, bell peppers, zucchini, onion, spiced sea salt, and olive oil. Grill shrimp and vegetables, covered, for 3 to 4 minutes per side. Serve over grits drizzled with remaining Basil Oil.
- In the container of a blender, place all ingredients; process until smooth. Cover; chill until ready to serve or up to 3 days.