Summer grilling season doesn’t have to be over with this hearty meal.
Grilled Sausages with Cabbage Chowchow
Makes 6 servings
- 3 pounds andouille sausage, halved lengthwise
- Cabbage Chowchow (recipe follows)
- ¾ cup distilled white vinegar
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 2½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups chopped green cabbage (about ½ head)
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper (about 1 medium pepper)
- 1 cup chopped seeded green tomato (about 1¼ medium tomatoes)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Heat a cast-iron grill pan over medium heat. Lightly spray pan with cooking spray. Place sausages on pan, cut side down, and cook until sausages are crispy and have grill marks, about 5 minutes, turning once. Serve immediately with Cabbage Chowchow.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. In a small enamel-coated cast-iron Dutch oven, combine vinegar, sugar, ¼ cup water, salt, mustard seeds, turmeric, cloves, cinnamon, and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer for 2 minutes. Add cabbage, corn, onion, bell pepper, tomato, and garlic; simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and pour mixture in an even layer onto prepared baking sheet. Refrigerate until cool.
- Evenly divide mixture between 4 half-pint glass jars with lids and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.