This robust yet tangy Stout-Pickle BBQ Sauce creates an addictively sticky-sweet glaze as these sausages grill.
Grilled Sausage and Onions
Males 6 to 8 servings
- 12 links fresh pork bratwurst sausages
- 14 (8-inch) bamboo skewers, soaked in water for at least 1 hour
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced ½ inch thick
- ¼ cup Stout-Pickle BBQ Sauce (recipe follows), plus more to serve
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat (350° to 400°).
- Thread sausages onto four sets of two parallel skewers. Thread onion on remaining three sets of two parallel skewers. Grill sausage skewers for 10 minutes; turn sausage skewers. Add onion skewers to grill. Grill, brushing sausage skewers with Stout-Pickle BBQ Sauce occasionally, until a meat thermometer inserted in sausage registers 155° and onions are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes more. Serve with additional sauce.
Stout-Pickle BBQ Sauce
Makes about 2 cups
- 1¼ cups stout beer
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup sweet pickle relish
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small Dutch oven, bring all ingredients to a simmer over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, 30 to 35 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month.