Bacon, Spinach, Gouda, and a Fried Egg make this the ultimate Grilled Cheese.
Grilled Cheese with Bacon, Spinach, Gouda, and Fried Egg
Makes 4 servings
Write a review
- 8 slices 5-grain bread, divided
- 4 ounces sliced Gouda cheese
- 8 slices cooked thick-cut bacon
- 4 tablespoons pickled jalapeños
- 2 cups spinach
- 5 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- 4 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- On half of bread slices, place 1 ounce Gouda, 2 slices bacon, 1 tablespoon jalapeño, and ½ cup spinach. Top with remaining bread slices.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add 2 sandwiches, and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn, and cook until cheese is melted and both sides are golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes more. Repeat procedure with 2 tablespoons butter and remaining 2 sandwiches.
- Wipe skillet clean, and melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Crack eggs into skillet, leaving room between each; season with pepper. Cook until white is set. Remove from skillet, and place on top of sandwiches. Serve immediately.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/
Find more great recipes like this one in Southern Cast Iron’s Winter 2017 issue!