Vibrant summer produce brings these tasty Grilled Amberjack Po’ Boys with Maque Choux to life.
Grilled Amberjack Po' Boys with Maque Choux
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (4-ounce) package diced pancetta
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears)
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 heirloom tomatoes, seeded and diced
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 6 (7-ounce) amberjack fillets
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning*
- 2 (16-ounce) loaves French bread
- ½ cup sliced green onion
- Rémoulade Sauce (recipe follows)
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat for 6 to 8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; add pancetta, corn, onion, bell pepper, celery, thyme, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Add garlic and tomatoes, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Add remaining ½ teaspoon salt, black pepper, and red pepper.
- Spray a grill rack with nonflammable cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium-high heat (350° to 400°). Brush fillets with olive oil, and sprinkle with Cajun seasoning.
- Grill fish, turning once, until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- Cut each loaf into 3 equal pieces, and then split lengthwise. Place 1 fillet on baguette half and top with about ⅓ cup corn mixture and green onion, if desired. Spread desired amount of Rémoulade Sauce on baguette half; place on top. Repeat with remaining baguette pieces, Rémoulade Sauce, corn mixture, and fillets.
*We used Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning.
Makes 1 cup
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons dill pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped capers
- 2 teaspoons Creole mustard
- 1½ teaspoons chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients, stirring well. Cover, and refrigerate until needed.