Pan drippings and crispy pieces of bacon bring a one-two punch of savory flavor to this skillet pasta.
Greens and Beans Gnocchi
Makes 4 servings
- ½ pound bacon, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) package potato gnocchi
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups chopped fresh kale
- 2 tablespoons chopped oregano
- Shaved pecorino cheese, to serve
- Garnish: fresh oregano
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Add onion to skillet; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high. Add broth, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Add gnocchi and beans; cook until tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in kale just until wilted, about 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in bacon and oregano. Add pecorinojust before serving. Garnish with oregano, if desired.