Wrapped in smoky bacon, these green bean bundles are a fun twist on the iconic Thanksgiving casserole.
Green Bean Casserole Bundles
- 4½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- ½ pound thick-cut bacon, halved crosswise
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Garnish: chopped fresh thyme
- Bring a large pot of water and 3 teaspoons salt to a boil over medium-high heat; add green beans. Cook until tender, about 3 minutes; drain. Transfer to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process; let drain on paper towels. Wrap bundles of 5 to 6 green beans with a piece of bacon, tying in a knot.
- Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add green bean bundles in an even layer; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Cook until bacon is crisp, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from skillet, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in pan. Place bundles on a serving platter; cover with foil.
- Add mushrooms and garlic to skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in cream, thyme, pepper, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Cook until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted. Spoon over green bean bundles. Garnish with thyme, if desired.
Find more Thanksgiving-inspired recipes in our newest issue Taste of the South magazine.