An easy citrus custard gets topped with caramelized slices of fresh grapefruit; it’s a flavor-packed pie that will have you feeling like warm weather isn’t far away.
Yields: 1 (9-inch) pie
- 1 (12-ounce) box gingersnap cookies, finely ground
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper (optional)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1¼ cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons grapefruit zest
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1¾ cups fresh Ruby Red grapefruit juice
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, cubed and softened
- 3 to 4 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 1 medium grapefruit, peeled, cut crosswise into ¼-inch-thick rounds, seeds removed
- Fresh whipped cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, combine ground cookies, melted butter, ¼ teaspoon salt, and pepper (if using). Pulse until cookie mixture is well combined and holds together when pinched between fingers.
- Transfer cookie mixture to a 9-inch pie pan, and using the bottom of a measuring cup, firmly press into bottom and up sides.
- Bake until crust is set and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Place a fine-mesh sieve over a medium bowl. In another medium bowl, whisk together yolks. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1¼ cups sugar, cornstarch, zest, ginger, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Whisk in grapefruit juice and lime juice until well combined. Heat sugar mixture over medium heat until steaming. Gradually whisk sugar mixture into yolks. Return yolk mixture to saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly; cook, whisking constantly for 2 minutes.
- Strain curd through prepared sieve into bowl, discarding solids. Stir in butter, one tablespoon at a time. Stir in food coloring (if using). Spoon curd into prepared crust, smoothing into an even layer.
- Chill tart, uncovered, for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Place grapefruit rounds on a baking sheet; pat dry. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Using a kitchen torch, toast grapefruit until caramelized. Arrange slices over tart as desired. Serve with fresh whipped cream.