You’ll love the ease and flavor of this Shrimp and Rice dish.
Ginger’s Shrimp and Rice
Makes 6 servings
Write a review
- 4 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup sliced smoked sausage (about 1⁄4-inch thick)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1½ pounds medium fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left on)
- In a deep 12-inch cast-iron skillet, cook bacon and sausage over medium-high heat until bacon is crisp and sausage is browned, approximately 10 minutes. Leaving meat in skillet, carefully drain all but 3 tablespoons rendered fat.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, approximately 6 minutes. Stir in rice; cook 1 minute. Add flour, tomato sauce, tomatoes, 2½ cups water, salt, and pepper, stirring until combined.
- Add shrimp to pan. (Do not stir.) Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Cook until rice is tender and shrimp are cooked through, approximately 40 minutes.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/