Warm and cozy spices infuse these pancakes with harvest flavor.
Gingerbread Pancakes with Maple-Orange Syrup
Makes about 15
Write a review
- 2 cups maple syrup
- 1 small orange, cut into wedges
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1¼ cups whole buttermilk
- ¼ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- In a small saucepan, combine syrup and orange wedges; cook over low heat until warm, about 10 minutes. Cover and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and salt. Make a well in center of mixture. In a medium bowl, stir together buttermilk, brown sugar, melted butter, molasses, and eggs. Add to dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
- In a large cast-iron griddle or skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Working in batches, drop batter by ⅓ cupfuls 1 inch apart over hot oil. Cook until edges are dry and bubbles form in center of pancakes, about 3 minutes; turn, and cook until browned, about 2 minutes more. Use remaining oil as needed. Serve with maple-orange syrup.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/