Start this delicious sugar cookie variation with our Basic Sugar Cookie Dough!
German Chocolate Cookies
Yield: approximately 2 dozen sandwich cookies
Write a review
- Basic Sugar Cookie Dough (link at top of page)
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 (4-ounce) bar semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup toasted shredded sweetened coconut
- 1⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- Prepare Basic Sugar Cookie Dough according to directions through Step 4; add coconut extract with vanilla in Step 2.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1⁄4-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch round cutter, cut as many cookies as possible, rerolling scraps no more than twice. Bake as directed in Step 6.
- In a small bowl, combine chocolate and coconut. Set aside. In a small saucepan, combine cream and butter. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat, and pour over chocolate mixture. Whisk until smooth. Set aside, and let cool to room temperature.
- Place approximately 1 teaspoon chocolate coconut filling on flat side of 1 cookie. Top with flat side of another cookie. Repeat with remaining cookies and filling. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/