This rich and decadent cake definitely needs to make it onto your holiday table.
German Chocolate Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- 4 ounces German’s sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (13.6-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 21⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 11⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 11⁄2 cups chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Chocolate Frosting (recipe follows)
- Garnish: toasted large-flake coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 3 (9-inch) cake pans with baking spray with flour. Line bottoms of pans with parchment paper; spray again.
- For cake: In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate and 1⁄2 cup water until chocolate is almost melted, about 1 minute. Stir until melted and smooth. Let cool to lukewarm.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup coconut milk and vinegar. Set aside. (Reserve remaining coconut milk for Chocolate Frosting.)
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add chocolate mixture and vanilla, beating until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in thirds, alternately with coconut milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition.
- In another medium bowl, using clean beaters, beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed just until stiff peaks form. Stir one-fourth of egg whites into batter. Gently fold in remaining egg whites. Divide batter among prepared pans, smoothing tops with an offset spatula.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 22 minutes. Let cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- For filling: In a large saucepan, stir together egg yolks, evaporated milk, sugar, butter, and salt until combined. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly, about 16 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in coconut, pecans, and sour cream. Let stand until completely cool and spreadable, about 1 hour.
- Spoon filling between layers, spreading almost to edges. Spread Chocolate Frosting on top and sides of cake. Cover and refrigerate up to 2 days. Garnish with coconut before serving, if desired.
Makes about 31⁄2 cups
- 6 ounces German’s sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 6 cups confectioners’ sugar (about 11⁄2 pounds)
- 3⁄4 cup coconut milk (reserved from cake)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate and butter until chocolate is almost melted, about 1 minute. Stir until melted and smooth. In a large bowl, combine chocolate mixture, confectioners’ sugar, coconut milk, and salt. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth; add 1 tablespoon milk, if needed. Use immediately.