For your next casual get-together, make this dip the night before and serve it as an appetizer when your guests arrive.
Garden Cowboy Caviar
Yields: 8-10 servings
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 2 cups fresh black-eyed peas
- 1 cup fresh yellow corn kernels
- 3 small jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 large plum tomatoes, diced
- ¾ cup diced cucumber
- ½ cup diced red onion, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Tortilla chips, to serve
- Garnish: chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large Dutch oven, bring broth, 3 teaspoons salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper to a boil over medium-high heat. Add peas; reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook until tender, about 30 minutes, adding corn during last 10 minutes of cooking. Drain well.
- In a large bowl, stir together pea mixture, jalapeño, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and cilantro until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, sugar, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add to vegetable mixture, stirring to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight. Serve with tortilla chips. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.