Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Write a review
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 pound okra, stem ends removed and cut into 1⁄2-inch slices
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches; heat over medium-high heat until a deep- fry thermometer reads 375°.
- In a shallow dish, combine cornmeal, flour, Creole seasoning, seasoned salt, and red pepper, mixing well.
- In a separate shallow dish, whisk together egg and buttermilk.
- Working in batches, dip okra in buttermilk mixture, draining excess. Dredge in cornmeal mixture, tossing gently to coat. Shake gently to remove excess. Fry okra 3 to 4 minutes, in batches if necessary, being careful not to overcrowd pan. Adjust heat as needed to maintain 375°. Drain on paper towels.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/