This recipe combines crispy fried green tomatoes with creamy tomato pie for one yummy dish.
Fried Green Tomato Pie
Makes 1 (10-inch) deep-dish pie
- 2 pounds green tomatoes, sliced into ¼-inch-thick rounds
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- 1 cup julienned red bell pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3 cups finely ground yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons ranch seasoning mix
- 2 cups sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded whole-milk mozzarella cheese
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Arrange tomato slices in a single layer and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt; let stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large 12-inch cast-iron skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and onion, cooking until tender and browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove vegetables from skillet. Wipe skillet clean; pour oil to a depth of 1½ inches, heating until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- Pat tomatoes dry with additional paper towels. In a shallow bowl, whisk together cornmeal, Italian seasoning, remaining 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and black pepper. In two separate shallow dishes, place flour and eggs. Working in batches, dredge tomatoes in flour, shaking off excess. Dip tomatoes in eggs, letting excess drip off. Dredge tomatoes in cornmeal mixture.
- Working in batches, fry tomatoes until crispy and golden brown, about 4 minutes. Place on a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 375˚.
- In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise and ranch seasoning until well combined. Add cheeses, stirring to combine.
- In the bottom of a 10-inch deep-dish pie plate, spread half of cheese mixture. Place fried tomatoes vertically on top of cheese mixture, leaning against sides of a pie -plate, and layering in concentric circles. Nestle peppers and onions in between tomato layers. Dollop tablespoonfuls of remaining cheese mixture in between tomato layers and over the top.
- Bake until golden brown and filling is bubbly, about 40 minutes, covering with foil halfway through baking to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let stand for 10 minutes. Serve warm.