Perched on a blanket in the grass is the perfect way to enjoy a juicy, crunchy piece of fried chicken. The sweet and spicy honey adds a special twist.
Fried Chicken with Spicy Honey
Yields: 6 servings
- 2 cups whole buttermilk
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 pounds bone-in chicken pieces
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Canola oil, for frying
- Spicy Honey (recipe follows)
- In a large container, stir together buttermilk, mustard, basil, parsley, honey, 1 tablespoon salt, and black pepper. Add chicken, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place a wire rack on a large baking sheet.
- In a large shallow dish, stir together flour, red pepper, and remaining 2 tablespoons salt. Remove chicken from container, discarding marinade. Dredge chicken pieces in flour mixture until coated. Place on a wire rack, and let stand for 10 minutes. Dredge in flour mixture again.
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 4 inches, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°. Working in batches, fry chicken pieces until golden brown, 10 to 20 minutes. Place on prepared rack.
- Bake chicken until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 165°, about 15 to 20 minutes. Let drain on paper towels. Serve with Spicy Honey.
Yields: About ½ Cup
- ½ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 chiles de arbol, broken into pieces
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a small saucepan, bring all ingredients to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. (Mixture will foam.) Remove from heat, and let cool.