Write a review
- 1 (3- to 4-pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry.
- In a shallow dish, combine flour, salt, paprika, and red pepper, mixing well.
- In a large heavy Dutch oven or deep cast-iron skillet, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches; heat oil to 350° over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, dredge chicken in flour mixture, gently shaking to remove excess. Fry chicken for 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until a thermometer inserted in the thickest part of chicken registers 180°. Adjust heat as needed to maintain oil temperature. Drain chicken on paper towels.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/