This summer cobbler offers the comfort of pie in a bowl.
Fresh Cherry-Almond Cobbler
Yield: approximately 6 servings
Write a review
- 2 1⁄2 pounds pitted fresh cherries (about 5 cups)
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup whole buttermilk
- Garnish: sliced almonds, confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, stir together cherries, 3⁄4 cup sugar, 1⁄4 cup flour, lemon juice, and extract. Spoon cherry mixture into a 2-quart baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together remaining 1⁄4 cup sugar, remaining 3⁄4 cup flour, almond flour, salt, and baking powder. Using a fork or pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk, stirring until combined. (Dough will be wet.) Drop spoonfuls of dough evenly over cherry mixture.
- Bake until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbling, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes. Garnish with almonds and confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/