The king of hearty breakfast dishes gets an upgrade with tender flat iron steak.
Flat Iron Steak and Eggs
Makes about 4 servings
Write a review
- 1 pound flat iron steak
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 13⁄4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- Toasted bread, to serve
- Heat a medium cast-iron skillet over high heat. Brush both sides of steak with oil. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper.
- When skillet begins to smoke, add steak. Cook until steak reaches desired degree of doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Remove steak from pan. Cover with foil, and let stand at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- Drizzle green onion with olive oil; sprinkle with 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper. Place in hot skillet; cook until slightly charred and just wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from skillet. Set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray; add eggs and remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper to pan. Cook, stirring constantly, until eggs are just
- set. Remove from heat. Serve with sliced steak, green onion, and toasted bread.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/