Save a few slices of pound cake or use up any leftover pieces that are going slightly stale for the crumb crust and topping.
Fig Pound Cake Crumb Bars
- 4 cups (about 6 slices) crumbled Classic Pound Cake
- ⅓ cup salted butter, softened
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1½ cups fig preserves*
- 5 fresh figs, quartered
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan spray with baking spray with flour.
- Arrange pound cake crumbles on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Stir, and bake 10 minutes more. Let cool. In a large bowl, beat toasted pound cake crumbles, butter, brown sugar, and cardamom with a mixer at medium speed until mixture starts to clump together. Press 3 cups crumble mixture into bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Spread fig preserves onto pound cake mixture. Arrange fig quarters over preserves. Sprinkle with remaining crumble mixture.
- Bake until golden brown and bubbly, 35 to 40 minutes more. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Using excess parchment as handles, remove from pan, and cut into bars. Garnish with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
*We used Stonewall Kitchen Fig & Ginger Jam.