Fresh basil and lemon juice keeps this pasta salad light and bright.
Farmers’ Market Pasta Salad
Yields: 8 cups
- 8 ounces farfalle pasta
- 2 cups sliced summer squash
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 1 cup sliced mini bell pepper
- 2 cups halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1½ cups mozzarella pearls
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1 cup fresh basil
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons roasted salted sunflower seeds
- Garnish: fresh basil, fresh parsley
- In a large stockpot, bring salted water to a boil over high heat. Add pasta, and cook for 10 minutes. Add squash, green beans, and bell pepper; cook for 2 minutes. Drain, and rinse with cold water. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in tomatoes and mozzarella.
- In a small bowl, combine lemon juice and shallot. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place parsley, basil, and oil; pulse until well blended. Pour parsley mixture over pasta mixture. Stir in shallot mixture, sugar, zest, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds. Garnish with basil and parsley, if desired.