Cornmeal and bread crumbs combine
to make the perfect crispy crust for these Extra-Crunchy Fried Zucchini, Okra, & Green Tomatoes.
Extra-Crunchy Fried Zucchini, Okra, & Green Tomatoes
Yields: 8 servings
- 3 medium green (unripe) tomatoes, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
- 5 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2⅔ cups plain yellow stone-ground cornmeal
- 1⅓ cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 cups whole buttermilk
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 (16-ounce) jar whole pickled okra, drained and patted dry
- Hot sauce, to serve
- Place tomato and zucchini slices on several layers of paper towels. Sprinkle both sides with 2 teaspoons salt. Let stand for 30 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together cornmeal, bread crumbs, flour, pepper, and remaining 3 teaspoons salt. In another shallow dish, place buttermilk.
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to fill halfway, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- Dip tomato slices in buttermilk, letting excess drip off. Dredge in cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess. Working in batches, carefully place tomato slices in hot oil. Fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove using a slotted spoon, and let drain on a wire rack. Repeat with zucchini and okra. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper. Serve with hot sauce.