Panko gives these tangy green beauties an unbeatable crispy crust.
Extra-Crunchy Fried Green Tomatoes
Write a review
- 16 (1⁄2-inch-thick) slices green tomato (about 11⁄2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper Vegetable oil, for frying
- Line a baking sheet with several layers of paper towels; top with a wire rack. Place tomato slices on prepared rack; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Let stand 30 minutes. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- In a shallow dish, place flour. In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, hot sauce, and egg. In another shallow dish, stir together panko, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Dredge tomato slices in flour, shaking off excess. Dip each tomato slice in buttermilk mixture, allowing excess to drip off. Dredge in panko mixture, gently pressing mixture to tomatoes. Return tomatoes to prepared rack.
- In a large Dutch oven, add oil to halfway full. Heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 360°. Working in batches, carefully place tomatoes in hot oil, being careful not to overcrowd pan. Cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown, approximately 2 minutes. (Adjust heat as needed to maintain 360°.) Remove with a slotted spoon; let drain on prepared pan.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/