Serve this mac and cheese hot and bubbling right out of the oven.
Extra-Cheesy Mac and Cheese
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups whole milk
- 1½ teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 ounces processed cheese product,* cubed
- 1¼ cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
- Preheat oven to broil.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour; cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly, about 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Add mustard, salt, pepper, and nutmeg; cook, stirring frequently until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in cheese product and 1 cup Cheddar until melted. Remove from heat; add cooked pasta, stirring until combined. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup Cheddar.
- Broil until golden brown and bubbly, about 5 minutes.
*We used Velveeta.