Your favorite southern soup just got easier.
Slow Cooker Chicken
Yields: About 8 Servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 small onions, peeled
- 2 (4-pound) whole chickens
- In a small bowl, stir together oil, pepper, salt, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder; rub mixture over chickens. In the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker, place onions. Place chickens on onions.
- Cover and cook on high 4 hours, or until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 165°.
Easy Chicken and Dumplings
Makes about 4 servings
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (32-ounce) containers chicken broth
- ½ (32-ounce) package frozen dumplings, broken in thirds*
- 4 cups shredded Slow Cooker Chicken (recipe above)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 6 minutes. Add flour; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Stir in broth; bring to a boil.
- Add frozen dumplings in batches, stirring to keep dumplings from sticking to bottom of pan. Bring back to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until dumplings are tender, about 30 minutes. Add chicken, thyme, and parsley; cook 10 minutes more. Serve immediately.
*We used Mary B’s brand frozen dumplings.
Find more great recipes like this one in our newest issue of Taste of the South magazine.