Classic French cassoulet can take days to prepare; this quick version is ready in less than half an hour.
Easy Cassoulet with Sausage and White Beans
Write a review
- 1 (1-pound) package smoked sausage, such as Conecuh, sliced
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Garnish: fresh thyme
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, cook sausage and bacon over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, approximately 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, set sausage and bacon aside, reserving 1 tablespoon rendered fat in skillet.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic to skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, approximately 8 minutes. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute. Return sausage and bacon to skillet; add beans, tomato, wine, thyme, and rosemary. Bring to a boil; cook 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, salt, and red pepper. Bring to a boil; cook until slightly thickened, approximately 3 minutes more. Garnish with thyme, if desired.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/