“It’s amazing how many folks don’t realize you can make French fries at home. This recipe uses my mother’s secret of cooking the fries twice for the ultimate crunch.” – Christy Jordan
Double-Fried Spicy Fries
Courtesy of: Christy Jordan
Yields: 6 servings
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 medium russet potatoes, cut lengthwise into 1⁄4-inch sticks
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Line 2 baking sheets with paper towels. Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven, fill with oil to halfway full. Heat oil over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 325°. Cook potato in batches until soft but not browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from oil using a slotted spoon; let drain on one prepared pan.
- Increase heat to medium-high; heat oil until a deep-fry thermometer reads 360°. Cook potato in batches until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from oil using a slotted spoon; let drain on remaining prepared pan. Sprinkle with chili powder and salt.