Yield: 5 (1-pint) jars
Write a review
- 3 cups distilled white vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1⁄4 cup pickling salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons dill seeds
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds 11⁄4 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into
- 5 (4-inch) sticks
- 10 sprigs fresh dill
- 2 1⁄2 pounds haricot verts (French green beans), blanched
- In a medium saucepan, bring vinegar, 3 cups water, garlic, salt, and sugar to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat; let cool to room temperature. Discard garlic.
- In each jar, place approximately 10 peppercorns, 1⁄2 teaspoon dill seeds, 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds, 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper, 1 carrot stick, and 2 dill sprigs. Divide beans evenly among jars; add vinegar mixture to cover. Seal jars; refrigerate 48 hours or up to 1 month.
- Kitchen Tip: To blanch green beans, cook in boiling salted water 1 minute. Immediately transfer to a bowl of ice water, and let cool.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/