With a kick of spice and a delicious crunch, these Grits-Fried Dill Pickles will go quickly. Stone-ground grits make a delicious breading for this classic Southern side.
Crunchy Grits-Fried Dill Pickles
Makes about 4 servings
Write a review
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, plus more for serving
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup stone-ground grits
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 (16-ounce) jar dill pickle slices, drained
- Ground black pepper
- Hot sauce, to serve
- In a small Dutch oven, pour enough oil to fill halfway. Heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, mustard, and hot sauce. In a shallow dish, combine flour, grits, and salt. Working in batches, dip pickle slices into milk mixture then into grits mixture, tossing gently to coat.
- Fry in batches until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per batch, turning pickles occasionally (adjust heat if necessary). Remove pickles with a slotted spoon; let drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/