This recipe comes from our recipe developer Elizabeth’s mother, Kendra Ivey, who has a tradition of making and giving these sweet, crunchy morsels as Christmas gifts each year. We hope you enjoy sharing them as much as she does!
Crispy Date-Nut Bites
Yields: About 60
- 2 (8-ounce) packages pitted dates
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups puffed rice cereal
- 1 cup roasted salted peanuts
- Confectioners’ sugar
- In a medium saucepan, combine dates, brown sugar, butter, ¼ cup water, and vanilla. Cook over medium heat until dates become very soft, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat; mash with a potato masher. Stir in cereal and peanuts. Let cool for 1 hour.
- Shape mixture into 1-inch balls, and roll in confectioners’ sugar. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.