Nothing warms the soul on a chilly fall or winter evening quite like a cozy bowl of soup.
Creamy Turkey and Wild Rice Soup
Makes 9 cups
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup sliced celery
- 2 large carrots, halved and sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- 2 (32-ounce) packages low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3 cups shredded roasted turkey
- Garnish: ground black pepper, fresh thyme leaves
- In a medium Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add celery, carrots, onion, garlic, and thyme; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook, stirring, until evenly coated and lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add rice and gradually stir in broth, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add turkey; cook, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve warm. Garnish with pepper and thyme, if desired.