Liven up your weeknight dinner menu or host a supper club starring this delicious dish.
Creamy Coconut Chicken
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 4 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Lime wedges, to serve
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice, to serve
- Garnish: fresh cilantro leaves, sliced green onions, crushed red pepper, toasted sweetened flaked coconut
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Season chicken with 2 teaspoons kosher salt and black pepper. Add chicken to skillet; cook until browned, about 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken from pan.
- In same skillet, cook onion and bell pepper over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut milk, broth, and cornstarch until smooth. Gradually add broth mixture to pan; bring to a simmer over medium heat. Do not boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in lime juice, turmeric, red pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Return chicken to pan; cook until sauce is thickened and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest portion of chicken registers 165°, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve with lime wedges and rice. Garnish with cilantro, green onion, red pepper, and toasted coconut, if desired.