Crispy roasted chicken thighs and decadent cheesy pasta combine to create this one-skillet supper.
Creamy Chicken and Shells with Broccoli
Makes 4 Servings
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 pounds bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 2½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (12-ounce) box orecchiette pasta, cooked according to package directions
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with 2 teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Place chicken, skin side down, in skillet. Cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Turn chicken over.
- Bake until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 160°, about 20 minutes. Remove chicken from skillet; set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, place broccoli and 2 tablespoons water. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 2 minutes; drain.
- Place same skillet over medium heat, whisk in flour; cook for 1 minute. Whisk in mustard and garlic. Gradually stir in cream and broth. Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining ½ teaspoon salt and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. Stir in cheese until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in cooked pasta. Add broccoli to skillet, stirring to coat. Arrange cooked chicken over pasta; serve immediately.