Meal plan no more—your weeknight supper is set with this simple, all-in-one dinner.
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole
Makes 8 to 10 Servings
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 (16-ounce) container fresh
- button mushrooms, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 2 (4-ounce) containers assorted fresh gourmet mushrooms
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth, room temperature
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon plus ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- 2 cups crumbled sourdough bread
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly spray a 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, melt ¼ cup butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and lightly browned, 10 minutes. Remove mushroom mixture from skillet.
- In same skillet, melt ¼ cup butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly, until aromatic and smooth, 5 minutes. Add broth and cream, whisking constantly. Cook, whisking constantly, until thick and bubbly, 5 minutes. Return mushroom mixture to skillet and stir to combine. Remove from heat; stir in cream cheese until smooth. Stir in chicken, 1 tablespoon kosher salt, pepper, and celery salt. Transfer mixture to prepared dish.
- In a small pan, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Pour over crumbled sourdough bread in a small bowl. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ teaspoon kosher salt and toss to combine. Top casserole with bread mixture.
- Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 25 minutes. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with parsley, if desired.