This make and take creamed spinach is packed with flavor. Top this dish, and store it in the refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature, and broil just before serving.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Write a review
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 1⁄3 cup chopped shallot
- 1 2⁄3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 2 (16-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup Japanese bread crumbs (panko)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to broil. Spray an 11x8-inch oval baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, reserving 1 tablespoon rendered bacon fat in skillet. Set bacon aside to cool.
- Add shallot to skillet; cook over medium-high heat until translucent, approximately 8 minutes. Stir in cream; cook until reduced by half, approximately 6 minutes. Stir in cheese and pearl onions; cook 1 minute more. Add spinach, reserved bacon, salt, pepper, and nutmeg; stir until combined. Spoon spinach mixture into prepared dish.
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, remaining 2 tablespoons cheese, and melted butter. Sprinkle mixture over spinach.
- Broil approximately 5 inches from heat until top is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/