Two Louisiana staples come together in this recipe for must-have Crawfish Po’ Boys.
Crawfish Po’ Boys
Makes 4 to 8
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 (16-ounce) package crawfish tail meat, rinsed and drained
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 French bread rolls, halved lengthwise
- Shredded green leaf lettuce, to serve
- Rémoulade Sauce (recipe follows)
- In a medium bowl, mix together cornmeal, flour, Creole seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, stir together buttermilk and hot pepper sauce. Soak crawfish tails in buttermilk mixture for 10 minutes. Dredge crawfish in flour mixture.
- Pour vegetable oil into a Dutch oven or deep fryer to a 2-inch depth. Heat oil to 350°.
- Fry crawfish, in batches, until golden brown, about 3 minutes per batch. Let drain on paper towels. Serve on rolls with shredded lettuce and Rémoulade Sauce.
Makes 1 cup
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons dill pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped capers
- 2 teaspoons Creole mustard
- 1½ teaspoons chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients, stirring well. Cover, and refrigerate until needed.