This Cranberry-Swirled Pound Cake spun with cranberry sauce and topped with easy candied cranberries will be a showstopper despite its simplicity.
Cranberry-Swirled Pound Cake
Makes 1 (9×5-inch) loaf
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 tablespoons (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1⅓ cups plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup whole-milk yogurt, room temperature
- 1 (8-ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce, mashed or whisked
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice, divided
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Candied Cranberries (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 325°. Spray 1 (9×5-inch) loaf pan with baking spray with flour. Line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cardamom, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, 1⅓ cups granulated sugar, and orange zest at medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low; gradually add flour mixture, alternating with yogurt, beating until just combined, stopping to scrape sides and bottom of bowl. Spoon half of batter into prepared pan, smoothing with an offset spatula. Dollop half of cranberry sauce onto batter, avoiding edges of pan. Spoon remaining batter on top of sauce. Dollop with remaining cranberry sauce, avoiding edges of pan. Using a long skewer, swirl batter with sauce.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 50 minutes to 1 hour, covering with foil after 45 minutes to prevent excess browning. Let cool for 10 minutes in pan. Remove from pan.
- Combine 2 tablespoons orange juice and remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar. Brush warm loaf with orange juice mixture. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, cream, and remaining 1 tablespoon orange juice until combined. Drizzle over cake. Top with Candied Cranberries.
- Candied Cranberries
- ½ cup water
- 1½ cups sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- In a large saucepan, bring ½ cup water, ½ cup sugar, and corn syrup to a gentle boil; cook for 10 minutes. Add cranberries and remove from heat. (You don’t want the cranberries to burst.) Gently stir to coat. Let cranberries cool in syrup mixture. Drain cranberries.
- Toss cranberries in remaining 1 cup sugar. Remove cranberries and let dry, 1 to 2 hours. Store for up to 2 days in an airtight container.