Store-bought pound cake makes this dessert easy; the cranberry syrup and rich homemade caramel take it to the next level.
Yields: 16 servings
- Cranberry syrup:
- 1¾ cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- Caramel syrup:
- 1½ cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (3.4-ounce) box cheesecake instant pudding and pie filling
- 2¼ cups whole milk
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 6½ cups sweetened whipped cream, divided
- 8 cups (1-inch) cubed pound cake* (about 1½ pounds)
- Garnish: toasted chopped pecans
- For cranberry syrup: In a large heavy saucepan, combine cranberries, 1 cup water, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer until berries burst and mixture begins to thicken, about 20 minutes. Pour into a bowl; let cool completely.
- For caramel syrup: In a large saucepan, sprinkle sugar in an even layer. In a small bowl, stir together 6 tablespoons water and corn syrup. Pour over sugar, stirring just until sugar is moistened. Cook over medium-high heat, without stirring, until mixture begins to turn golden brown, about 5 minutes. (While caramel cooks, brush any sugar crystals on side of pan with a pastry brush dipped in water.) Remove from heat.
- Using a long-handled wooden spoon, stir in cold butter until melted. (Mixture will foam.) In a liquid measuring cup, microwave cream on high just until hot but not boiling, about 30 seconds. Gradually pour hot cream into sugar mixture, stirring until smooth. Pour into a bowl; stir in vanilla and salt. Let cool completely. Reserve ⅓ cup caramel.
- For pudding: In a medium bowl, beat pudding mix and milk with a mixer at medium speed until mixture begins to thicken, about 2 minutes. Add sour cream, whisking just until combined.
- In a 5-quart trifle bowl, spread 2 cups whipped cream. Layer with half of cake, half of pudding, half of cranberry syrup, half of caramel syrup, and 2 cups whipped cream. Arrange remaining cake over whipped cream. Repeat layers once, ending with remaining 2½ cups whipped cream. Drizzle with reserved ⅓ cup caramel. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Garnish with pecans, if desired. *We used Sara Lee Pound Cake.
Find more recipes like this one in the newest edition of Taste of the South magazine.