Try this creative seasonal take on baked beans for a new favorite wintertime side.
Cranberry Barbecue Beans
Makes 10 to 12 servings
- 1 (16-ounce) bag dried navy beans
- 8 ounces thick cut bacon, chopped (6 slices)
- 1½ cups chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- ½ cup cane syrup ½ cup yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cups chicken broth
- In a large bowl, add beans and water to cover by 3 inches. Cover and let soak overnight.
- Drain beans and rinse.
- In a large Dutch oven, add beans and water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until beans are tender, about 1 hour. Drain, discarding liquid.
- In same Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until fat is beginning to render, about 5 minutes. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is tender and starting to brown at edges, 5 to 7 minutes. Add beans and cranberries; cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Add ketchup, barbecue sauce, cane syrup, mustard, and thyme. Cook for 2 minutes. Add chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, until sauce is thick, 45 to 60 minutes.