Sweet golden raisins and crunchy sliced almonds add texture and flavor to this Country Captain Casserole.
Country Captain Casserole
Write a review
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisins
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted chicken broth
- 11⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 11⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 11⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Garnish: chopped green onion
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add carrot, onion, bell pepper, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionaly, until onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add tomato, raisins, broth, salt, ginger, curry, cardamom, and pepper. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Stir in chicken and rice. Sprinkle almonds over casserole.
- Bake until almonds are golden brown, about 30 minutes. Garnish with green onion, if desired.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/
Find more great recipes like this one in Taste of the South’s March/April 2017 issue!