Add some fun to the cold and dreary winter months with this colorful cake.
Cornmeal Sprinkle Cake
Makes 1 (8½×4½-inch) loaf
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup finely ground yellow cornmeal
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons rainbow sprinkles
- 1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray an 8½×4½-inch loaf pan with baking spray with flour. Line with parchment paper, letting excess extend over edges.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture; add oil, milk, eggs, and vanilla, whisking just until combined. Fold in sprinkles, 1 tablespoon at a time, using a rubber spatula. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs, about 1 hour, covering with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool completely in pan. Using excess parchment as handles, remove cake from pan and place on a serving platter.
- For glaze: In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients until smooth. Pour onto cooled cake. Store cake, covered, for up to 3 days.