These crackers taste like the crunchy edges of skillet-baked cornbread with the texture of a firm shortbread cookie.
Yields: About 36
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons orange blossom honey
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dry powdered milk
- Pimiento cheese and pickle chips, to serve
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with a mixer at medium speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Add honey, salt, and pepper, beating until combined.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, and powdered milk. With mixer on low speed, gradually add cornmeal mixture to butter mixture, beating until large clumps form, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and gently knead until no longer crumbly. Between 2 sheets of parchment paper, roll dough to ⅛-inch thickness. Using a pastry wheel, cut dough into 1½-inch squares. Using a fork, prick three rows in center of each cracker. Place crackers about 1 inch apart on prepared pan.
- Bake until very lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. Let cool completely on pan. Serve with pimiento cheese and pickles. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.