You can have a tasty weeknight dinner on the table in about 30 minutes with this Cajun-inspired creation.
Corn and Tasso Maque Choux
Makes 6 Servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 ounces tasso ham, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup chopped orange bell pepper
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- ¾ cup chopped sweet onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels (about 6 ears)
- 1½ teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1½ cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- Garnish: chopped oregano
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-low heat. Add ham, and cook, stirring frequently, until browned, 8 to 9 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove ham from skillet. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil and increase heat to medium.
- Add bell pepper, poblano pepper, onion, celery, and jalapeño; cook, stirring frequently, until crisp-tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in corn and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant and corn is tender, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Add cooked ham, cream, parsley, oregano, salt, black pepper, and Cajun seasoning, stirring until well combined. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, until cream is slightly reduced, about 8 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook until just tender and heated through, 4 to 5 minutes more. Garnish with oregano, if desired. Serve warm.