This Corn and Okra Salad’s flavor enhances with time, so make ahead and store in the fridge until you’re ready to pack your picnic basket.
Corn and Okra Salad
Yields: 6 servings
- 7 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5½ cups fresh corn kernels (from about 8 ears corn)
- ½ pound okra, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- ½ fresh jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: chopped fresh cilantro, crumbled feta cheese
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat 4 tablespoons lime juice on high until very hot, about 1 minute. Add onion, pressing into juice to completely submerge; let cool completely. Drain.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over high heat. Add corn; cook, without stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir, and cook 2 minutes more. Remove from skillet, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Add okra; cook, stirring frequently, until just beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Remove from skillet, and transfer to bowl with corn. Stir in onion, jalapeño, cilantro, feta, sugar, salt, pepper, and remaining 3 tablespoons lime juice. Garnish with cilantro and feta, if desired.