This is your new go-to collards recipe.
Collards with Smoked Sausage and Pickled Okra
Write a review
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped smoked sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (1-pound) bag washed and chopped collard greens
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups sliced pickled okra
- 2 tablespoons cane syrup, such as Steen’s
- In a medium Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and onion; cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, approximately 3 minutes. Add greens, broth, 1 cup water, vinegar, and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add okra and cane syrup. Cook approximately 20 minutes, or until greens reach desired tenderness.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/