Collard greens hold up to dressing very well, so this salad can be mixed an hour or two ahead of serving and stored in the fridge. Just add the pear slices when it’s time to eat.
Collard Green, Pear, and Pecan Salad
Yields: 6 to 8 servings
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon country Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons clover honey
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 cups stemmed sliced collard greens
- ½ cup shredded Manchego cheese
- 1 medium D’Anjou pear
- 1 (4.4-ounce) package pomegranate arils (about ¾ cup)
- ½ cup chopped candied pecans
- ½ cup thinly sliced shallot
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: shredded Manchego cheese
- In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, honey, garlic, and salt. Gradually whisk in oil until well combined. Add collard greens and cheese to bowl; gently massage vinegar mixture into collard greens for 2 minutes.
- Halve, trim, and core pear; cut lengthwise into ⅛-inch-thick slices, and add to bowl with greens. Stir in pomegranate arils, pecans, and shallot until well combined. Sprinkle with pepper. Garnish with cheese, if desired.