These Coffee Crème Brûlées are the perfect end to an elegant dinner. If you don’t have a kitchen torch, broil 5 inches from heat, watching carefully, until topping is browned and bubbly.
Coffee Crème Brûlées
Yield: 8 servings
Write a review
- 3 cups plus 1⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- 2 tablespoons ground coffee
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2⁄3 cup plus 8 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 190°. In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave 1⁄3 cup cream until very hot, approximately 1 minute. Add chocolate, stirring until smooth. Divide chocolate mixture among 8 (8-ounce) ramekins. Refrigerate until firm, approximately 15 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, combine remaining 3 cups cream, ground coffee, instant coffee, cinnamon, and vanilla bean and reserved seeds. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat; remove from heat. Cover, and let stand 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, 2⁄3 cup sugar, and salt. Strain cream mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium bowl; discard solids. Transfer strained mixture to a clean saucepan. Bring just to a boil over medium heat. Gradually add hot cream to egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Transfer egg yolk mixture to saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, approximately 2 minutes. Divide mixture among chocolate-filled ramekins.
- Bake until centers are set, approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes. Let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon sugar over each ramekin. Using a kitchen torch, heat sugar until browned and bubbly. Serve immediately.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/